Close

eurostile Font Broken on Safari

mrabjohn
4 years ago
#16315 Quote
Hi,

I happened to notice that my client's site was not displayiong properly on iMac Safari. Instead of the thin glyphs from eurostyle, I got a row of A characters in litle boxes. Even when using Chrome on this iMac, the font was not functioning - instead it displayed the characters as less stylish versions.

To check this, I brought up the Traction theme Live demo from the Nop Templates site and the font is suffering the same fate.

The Mac is running IIRC OS X 10.12 - it's old, but surely the font's worked a couple of years ago didn't they? Safari is also using the WOFF version of the font for preference.

Does anybody know what to do? Will updating the OS to latest version fix this?

Cheers,

Mark
Valentin
4 years ago
#16324 Quote
Hi mrabjohn,

we just inspected the Traction demo on a MAC with Safari and we cannot seem to get the same result as the one you describe. Can you please provide some more details like - what is the exact OS version you are using, the version of the Safari browser and some screenshots of the actual problem you are having?

Looking forward to your answer!
Best Regards,

Valentin Kirov
Nop-Templates.com
mrabjohn
4 years ago
#16340 Quote
My Mac is running:

Safari: 10.1.2 (10603.3.8)
MAC OS X: 10.10.5 (Yosemite)

I have no idea whether there was a problem on this version of Safari or OS X or whether there is a fault just with my Mac.
mrabjohn
4 years ago
#16343 Quote
Hi,

I have a separate report of a Traction theme's eurostile font failing on MAC OS X again. This time, the font renders in Safari, however Chrome on MAC OS X just renders Helvetica instead (that's what it looks like). I'm trying to get the OS version and the browser number for this report.
hristo
4 years ago
#16344 Quote
mrabjohn wrote:
My Mac is running:

Safari: 10.1.2 (10603.3.8)
MAC OS X: 10.10.5 (Yosemite)

I have no idea whether there was a problem on this version of Safari or OS X or whether there is a fault just with my Mac.

Unfortunately this is not a font issue, neither a browser issue, but rather an "OS" issue. I've researched this problem a lot back in the day when old OSX were still widely spread - most users stated that they are having this particular problem because of font conflicts after installing specific software on MAC machines (e.g. Microsoft Office which implements non OSX native fonts on its own, etc.)

There were reports that the problem can be fixed only be executing font cleaning procedures on the client machine. Which is bad news because the problem can be solved only by modifying the client machine and not the website itself. This means that even if you manage to fix it on your own machine, a visitor with the same old OSX may experience the same problem when visiting your website.

Fortunately these operation systems are dying out now.
If you still want to avoid this, then you have to look for a font replacement and eventually integrate a font that doesn't get into conflicts (but there's no guarantee it won't get into conflicts on another old OSX machine if it's not a native OSX font)

Regards

Regards,
Hristo Gospodinov
Nop-Templates.com
mrabjohn
4 years ago
#16345 Quote
Hi,

My previous post relates to Google Chrome Version 78.0.3904.70 and macOS Catalina 10.15.

Mark
hristo
4 years ago
#16346 Quote
mrabjohn wrote:
Hi,

My previous post relates to Google Chrome Version 78.0.3904.70 and macOS Catalina 10.15.

Mark

The problem remains the same. It's on the client machine.
Regards,
Hristo Gospodinov
Nop-Templates.com
mrabjohn
4 years ago
#21019 Quote
Hi Guys,

Sorry to come back on this, but this fault has also been observed on Chrome on an Android mobile device, so it's not just OSX. I'm just wondering, do you know of a way to decisively changet the font such that it won't clash in an OS, like change filenames, CSS names and internal font uid or name so that it countains an identifier for the website (or similar)?

Mark
mrabjohn
4 years ago
#21020 Quote
Hi,

The site owner has now decided to drop the webfont completely. The site is now in Helvetica/Arial, which doesn't look that bad. Obviously if anybody can think of a way of getting around this so that we can get the font back, that would be very helpful - thanks.

Mark