Close

Custom Products in Category List

JRon
5 years ago
#14736 Quote
Hi, I am wondering why is it not possible to have custom product list in the Category Product Collection (just like a tab with custom list in  Custom Product Collection)

It´s much easier to add the products that way, rather then using featured products.

How does the feature product list work, I thought, that products marked "show on homepage" would be categorized as featured product but my products that are marked "show on homepage" do not show up if I select featured  as a sort method
Valentin
5 years ago
#14739 Quote
JRon wrote:
Hi, I am wondering why is it not possible to have custom product list in the Category Product Collection (just like a tab with custom list in  Custom Product Collection)

It´s much easier to add the products that way, rather then using featured products.

How does the feature product list work, I thought, that products marked "show on homepage" would be categorized as featured product but my products that are marked "show on homepage" do not show up if I select featured  as a sort method

Hello JRon,

In order to have a Category collection, you need to have a Category and products associated to it. You need to be able to access that Category's page, too.

With Custom products you have no such page. This is precisely why the Smart Product Collections plugin has a separate section for Custom Product Collections.

You can always create a custom category with the products you want to show and then use the Category Product Collection functionality, otherwise, the Custom Product Collections is the only way to go.

As for the featured products, you are correct, the Show on home page option marks them as featured. There must be another issue there. You can submit a ticket for that so we can investigate what the problem might be.
Best Regards,

Valentin Kirov
Nop-Templates.com
JRon
5 years ago
#14740 Quote
Valentin wrote:

Hello JRon,

In order to have a Category collection, you need to have a Category and products associated to it. You need to be able to access that Category's page, too.

With Custom products you have no such page. This is precisely why the Smart Product Collections plugin has a separate section for Custom Product Collections.

You can always create a custom category with the products you want to show and then use the Category Product Collection functionality, otherwise, the Custom Product Collections is the only way to go.

As for the featured products, you are correct, the Show on home page option marks them as featured. There must be another issue there. You can submit a ticket for that so we can investigate what the problem might be.

Hi Valentin and thanks for your response, I will now investigate the problem with featured products not showing up.

I understand the difference in functionality with category products or custom products, I just think it would be a nice feature to be able to select custom products from the chosen category in the same way that you can select custom products ín custom product collection, it´s much easier that way than going manually into each category product you want to show and mark it "Show on homepage"
JRon
5 years ago
#14743 Quote
There appears to be an error with the Featured Product sort option in both Category Product list and Custom Product List, I just replicated the problem in your admin-demo store ( http://admin-demos.nop-templates.com/admin/CategoriesProductCollectionsAdmin/Settings  )

I went to Category Product Collections and added the category Gift Cards, added a new  tab with the sort order "Featured Products" but no products were found but it should have found the $25 Virtual Gift Card

I went to Custom Product Collections and added the manufacturer Apple as Source type and sort order "Featured Products" but no products were found but it should have found the Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch

If you add Featured Products as source type it will display the featured products
Boyko
5 years ago
#14744 Quote
JRon wrote:
There appears to be an error with the Featured Product sort option in both Category Product list and Custom Product List, I just replicated the problem in your admin-demo store ( http://admin-demos.nop-templates.com/admin/CategoriesProductCollectionsAdmin/Settings  )

I went to Category Product Collections and added the category Gift Cards, added a new  tab with the sort order "Featured Products" but no products were found but it should have found the $25 Virtual Gift Card

Hi JRon,

The "Featured Products" are not the products that are shown on the home page but the ones that are featured for that specific category.
Actually the "Featured Products" sort order uses the "Featured products" for the Gift Cards category that you can manage from the category page in the administration and selecting the Products tab where in the grid you can choose which products are featured.
So if you mark the "$25 Virtual Gift Card" as featured for the Gift Cards category then it will appear in the Smart Product Collection when you select the "Featured products" sort option.
Regards,
Nop-Templates.com Team
JRon
5 years ago
#14745 Quote
Thank you Boyko, that´s what I was asking about in my original post.

I still think it would be much better if we could custom add products from categories to a tab
Boyko
5 years ago
#14758 Quote
JRon wrote:

I still think it would be much better if we could custom add products from categories to a tab

Hi JRon,

The initial idea of the Categories collections was to automatically pull the products for that category by some specific criteria i.e Featured Products without any manual intervention from the store owner.  If the store owner has to go and set the products manually every time a new product is added to the category or is removed etc. then this will completely defeat the purpose of the category collections. In such cases you can use Product Collections instead of the Category collections. Anyway we understand what your suggestion is and we will think about  implementing it.

Thank you for your suggestion! It is much appreciated!
Regards,
Nop-Templates.com Team
JRon
5 years ago
#14760 Quote
Hi Boyko, I understand the concept, my problem is that I have maybe 10 - 15 products in a category on sale and maybe the 4 On Sale products I want to promote on my frontpage are not necessarily the first 4 products based on price difference.