Close

Responsive Images Sizes

robplayblue
10 years ago
#5777 Quote
Hi
I was investigating your responsive themes and using fiddler I wanted to check how the images were downloaded for the various viewports.

It seems that there is only one image in the homepage slider for instance (the largest size needed ) it is then used in all viewports.

Is there any plan to attempt any form of adaptive image processing to decide which image to download depending on the viewport?

I notice for instance the hompage slider images are approx 454K each!

On a iPhone this image is displayed at only 109 height and 456 width and would only need to be a tiny fraction of this size.

This might be a serious limitation on the images you could present this way.
Rob
Boyko
10 years ago
#5780 Quote
robplayblue wrote:
Hi
I was investigating your responsive themes and using fiddler I wanted to check how the images were downloaded for the various viewports.

It seems that there is only one image in the homepage slider for instance (the largest size needed ) it is then used in all viewports.

Is there any plan to attempt any form of adaptive image processing to decide which image to download depending on the viewport?

I notice for instance the hompage slider images are approx 454K each!

On a iPhone this image is displayed at only 109 height and 456 width and would only need to be a tiny fraction of this size.

This might be a serious limitation on the images you could present this way.
Rob

Hi Rob,

What you suggest is interesting and would definitely decrease the load time on mobile devices.
But there is a problem when the view ports change when you move from Portrait to Landscape mode for example. So you can't really know if the user might need a bigger image at some point for example if the user changes from Portrait to Landscape mode.
Anyway we will think what can be done in this direction although it is not an issue with our themes only but  in general. I don't think that there is a theme for nopCommerce that does this as in order to be done it would require changes in the core nopCommerce functionality.

Thanks
Regards,
Nop-Templates.com Team
robplayblue
10 years ago
#5781 Quote
Hi
Thanks for the response I understand its the way it is done and is not really an easy fix but is something that needs to be looked at in the medium term I reckon.
Thanks
Rob