We have installed them on a test server, are kidding me?! They worked fine there. I will update the core plugin and get back to you. Thanks!
I have been monitoring the log and do not see any errors related to that task at all. As I stated earlier, the Last start date column is empty, suggesting to me that the task is not even being executed in the first place.
Now that I think of I may not have updated the core plug in when I added this plugin (I have other plugins from you previously installed). Might that have something to do with it?
What exactly are you going to look at? I can setup a new role with access to what you need. Management will not allow me to give you full admin access. I am very savvy around Nop, can you describe what you are looking for maybe?
It is enabled and set at the default 60 seconds. Stop on error is not enabled. It is called the 'Customer Reminders Task' correct?
The scheduled task does not seem to be running? Last start date, Last end date, and Last success date are all blank. I have restarted the application, iis reset, etc. but no luck. Any suggestions?
Looks like I fixed it. The class for 'Category Page Products Panel Selector' option was not named correctly in the plug in settings.
It seems like anything that is trying to interact with the Kendo UI window object is breaking on the category pages.
Product page seems to work fine. I am getting the error when trying to add from the category page. Note, I have the 'Enable Ajax Cart On Multi Product Variants On Catalog Pages' enabled as well.
Okay, re-downloaded and installed the core/ajax cart plug-ins and same issue. The website is not live so I cannot give you an admin log in. I am running it on my local dev box.
I have not made any modifications to the plug-in and can verify that those files are being loaded correctly (including Kendo).