Close

Multiple Groups vs Multiple Ribbons

jeffahart
10 years ago
#4084 Quote
I have a site that has duplicate products across two stores. Each store has Holiday categories.
Christmas, Easter, Mothers Day ..... and so on 7 holidays.

I am putting "Out of Stock Seasonal Item" ribbons for all these categories.
So my question is = Is it better to have a ribbon for each holiday or can I have 14 groups(one holiday for each store) each with two conditions = Out of Stock = 0  And Category = "The Specific Holiday Category".  I have a standard "Out of Stock" ribbon with priority 0 for all other non seasonal categories.

I ask this question in the spirit of performance, if you happen to know if one method would be better or not. My gut is telling me to break them up by store since the plugin wants to filter by store naturally.  And have 7 holiday groups for each store.

Thanks!
jeff
Boyko
10 years ago
#4086 Quote
jeffahart wrote:
I have a site that has duplicate products across two stores. Each store has Holiday categories.
Christmas, Easter, Mothers Day ..... and so on 7 holidays.

I am putting "Out of Stock Seasonal Item" ribbons for all these categories.
So my question is = Is it better to have a ribbon for each holiday or can I have 14 groups(one holiday for each store) each with two conditions = Out of Stock = 0  And Category = "The Specific Holiday Category".  I have a standard "Out of Stock" ribbon with priority 0 for all other non seasonal categories.

I ask this question in the spirit of performance, if you happen to know if one method would be better or not. My gut is telling me to break them up by store since the plugin wants to filter by store naturally.  And have 7 holiday groups for each store.

Thanks!
jeff

Hi jeff,

I think it is better to break them per store. This way you can also have different images per store etc. In terms of performance it also be a bit faster as it will check only 7 groups rather than 14. Although the first group that matches the condition will cause skipping of the other condition groups.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Nop-Templates.com Team
Regards,
Nop-Templates.com Team
jeffahart
10 years ago
#4087 Quote
That's what I did. But I really see what you mean.  I have a good long 1 to 2 second delay before the ribbons paint.  I Think I may need to create a "Seasonal" category and include all seasonal items with the "seasonal" category.  The site is not coming up live for a couple more days so I won't bother posting a link.

But www.silkflowerbarn.com uses a freeshipping category and every item is in that category.  After the products load a quick blink and the ribbons are painted. Acceptable in my eyes.

I think I should apply this to the seasonal items as well.  After I do, I will let you all know the results.

Thanks,
jeff
jeffahart
10 years ago
#4088 Quote
Just to close this thread.  I think my behavior may be browse issue. I am using windows 7 home premium with IE 10.

Here's the behavior:
I add a group and save.  The group is not seen.  But I re-enter the admin module from another domain name, and I see the newly added group(s).  I then go back to the original admin module instance and again(with the other admin instance open), cannot see the newly added group.  I click the browser refresh and then the newly added group appears.

It's very bizarre, no amount for refreshing or cache clearing in admin module will render the newly added group until I re-enter from another domain name, and then go back to the domain in which the group was added to refresh that instance.  And I just entered 2 ribbons each with 8 groups.

Note: I've been working these ribbons off my production environment since these are last minute tweaks before we go live.

Anyhow, it all works great, just some strange behavior from my environment.

thanks,
jeff
Boyko
10 years ago
#4093 Quote
Hi Jeff,

1. The blink that you see is because the page is not fully loaded and the Ribbons are shown via Ajax (when the page is loaded) and they are not present in the markup till it is loaded.
2. "Reentering the admin from another domain" should have no effect at all as the admin part in nopCommerce is one and only no matter how many stores you have and from which domain you enter it. But I am curious to check this in your environment. So you you are willing to provide us with administration access to your store (you can send us an email) and describe how to reproduce it we will be glad to check it.

Best Regards,
Nop-Templates.com Team
Regards,
Nop-Templates.com Team