Close

Category & URL Structure

bsgcraft
10 years ago
#3944 Quote
I do not understand why nop would not want to have a continued url structure to follow categories (i.e www.xyz.com/cat-name/subcat-name/product-name).  Any insight on how to achieve this URL structure?

Also, I have issues when I have multiple sub-categories with the same name (shorts > basketball and shoes > basketball) nop changes the category "basketball" to "basketball-2" because it is used multiple times even though it is a sub category.  Frustrated. Any insight?
Nate Kindom
Boyko
10 years ago
#3946 Quote
jkeeler wrote:
I do not understand why nop would not want to have a continued url structure to follow categories (i.e www.xyz.com/cat-name/subcat-name/product-name).  Any insight on how to achieve this URL structure?

Also, I have issues when I have multiple sub-categories with the same name (shorts > basketball and shoes > basketball) nop changes the category "basketball" to "basketball-2" because it is used multiple times even though it is a sub category.  Frustrated. Any insight?

Hi jkeeler,

The ID-less URLs were introduced in nopCommerce since version 2.7. You can read more in this blog post. As you can read in the blog post it is much better for SEO to have a single level url than having multiple levels for each category i.e /category/subcategory/subcategory.
You can change the automatically assigned name basketball-2 to whatever best describes your inner category name. You can do this from the SEO tab and modify the Search engine friendly page name.

Hope this information is useful!

Thanks
Regards,
Nop-Templates.com Team
bsgcraft
10 years ago
#3949 Quote
I am using Nop's multisite feature and the issue is I have the same categories in both stores. This is an issue because I can not manually change the categories that are the same. They always resort to having a "-2" behind it because they can not be duplicated apparently.  I need to keep the categories the same somehow. I would think that nop would be smart enough to realize that if I have subcategories with different parent categories, it wont think it was a duplicate category so it would allow for two slugs to be the same. But having all pages only 1 level deep eliminates that function.
Nate Kindom
Boyko
10 years ago
#3959 Quote
jkeeler wrote:
I am using Nop's multisite feature and the issue is I have the same categories in both stores. This is an issue because I can not manually change the categories that are the same. They always resort to having a "-2" behind it because they can not be duplicated apparently.  I need to keep the categories the same somehow. I would think that nop would be smart enough to realize that if I have subcategories with different parent categories, it wont think it was a duplicate category so it would allow for two slugs to be the same. But having all pages only 1 level deep eliminates that function.

Hi jkeeler,

Yes, the Slugs in nopCommerce should be unique and that's why you can't have two categories with the same friendly name. Maybe the Slugs should be set per store and this way you can have the same slugs but as long as they are in different stores this should not be a problem. You can suggest to Andrei to implement this for nopCommerce 3.3.

Thanks
Regards,
Nop-Templates.com Team