Close

Facebook Integration Locked Due to Recent Press / Privacy Concerns

sww
5 years ago
#14437 Quote
FYI, it is not possible to use the Facebook Social Feed for a new installation at the moment due to policy changes being made after all the bad press Facebook has been getting in recent weeks.  

Specifically, enabling the plugin returns this:

(OAuthException - #200) (#200) Access to this data is temporarily disabled for non-active apps or apps that have not recently accessed this data due to changes we are making to the Facebook Platform. https://developers.facebook.com/status/issues/205942813488872/

More here:
https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/03/cracking-down-on-platform-abuse/

Thought others may want to know...
anton_ivanov
5 years ago
#14438 Quote
Hello,

Thank you for reporting this!

It seems that for now, Facebook does not grant access to their users data, for new apps. This means that if you want to make a new Facebook social feed you will not be able to authorize.
Unfortunately, we cannot do anything about it since that is completely Facebook's decision. We will wait and see how they proceed in the future since this limitation is just temporary until they figure out how to handle their data leak.

Regards,
Anton Ivanov
Nop-Templates.com
sww
5 years ago
#14439 Quote
UPDATE: https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/04/restricting-data-access/

Not sure if this means that the plugin usage will need to be reviewed and approved by Facebook going forward?
anton_ivanov
5 years ago
#14440 Quote
Hello,

It seems that if you want to access information from a facebook page (one of the functionalities of the Social Feed plugin) you will need to have your app reviewed and approved.
No mention of apps that gather your own posts, however. So it seems that, atleast for now, if you want to use the Social Feed plugin to display your own publications in Facebook you won't have any problems. However, if you are displaying posts from groups or pages you will need to get your app approved.

Note: This may affect people displaying posts from Instagram as well since they use the same API.

Regards,
Anton Ivanov
Nop-Templates.com
sww
5 years ago
#14441 Quote
anton_ivanov wrote:
No mention of apps that gather your own posts, however. So it seems that, atleast for now, if you want to use the Social Feed plugin to display your own publications in Facebook you won't have any problems. However, if you are displaying posts from groups or pages you will need to get your app approved.

Are you suggesting that despite the error in my original post, I should be able to activate and use your plugin for my own Facebook posts?  If so, can you provide insight in to what I might need to change to make it work?  I read it as new "apps" were locked until further notice, but may be wrong...
anton_ivanov
5 years ago
#14446 Quote
Hello,

Sorry, I failed to specify in my last post but I was talking about already created apps.
As for new apps - I tried to authenticate a new Facebook app with the Social Feed plugin on Thursday but I wasn't able to get posts to show on the public store. That's all the information I can give you at the moment.
It is currently the Easter holidays in Bulgaria and our support resources are limited. I will be able to test this again on the first working day after the holidays - 10.04.2018. I will post here again once I have more information on how to proceed with this situation.
Regards,
Anton Ivanov
Nop-Templates.com
teohhk
5 years ago
#14450 Quote
Having this error while trying to Authorize an existing App, reason for re-authorizing is because social feed doesn't show facebook feed. Got this error:

Invalid Scopes: user_about_me. This message is only shown to developers. Users of your app will ignore these permissions if present. Please read the documentation for valid permissions at: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-login/permissions

sww
5 years ago
#14477 Quote
anton_ivanov wrote:
It is currently the Easter holidays in Bulgaria and our support resources are limited. I will be able to test this again on the first working day after the holidays - 10.04.2018. I will post here again once I have more information on how to proceed with this situation.

Hi,

Trust y'all have had a great Easter holiday.

Any update on this?  Now when I click Authorize in the plugin, a browser window opens with the following:

Invalid Scopes: user_about_me. This message is only shown to developers. Users of your app will ignore these permissions if present. Please read the documentation for valid permissions at: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-login/permissions

The plugin says "Authorized", but still no Post are being displayed.

Does the above message refer to something in the plugin code's communication with the Facebook API, or is it a setting for the Facebook App that I need to change?  

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thx!
sww
5 years ago
#14492 Quote
Hi,

Is there any new information on this?
anton_ivanov
5 years ago
#14494 Quote
Hello,

Sorry for the delay.

We've created an article on how to get your Facebook app approved so it can be used by the Social Feed plugin to display content on your store.

Hope that helps!
Regards,
Anton Ivanov
Nop-Templates.com