Close

Ability to switch themes with css files?

nopadmin
7 years ago
#12483 Quote
Hi, just a general question here.  I have a client whose manager selected the shop all theme to be applied to the project when the project first got started.  The project has many view files and such in the shop all theme that have been modified to provide custom functionality.  However, the manager has been let go and the company owner would rather use another theme.  

How complex would this task be?  Do many of your themes roughly share the same set of view files and the look and feel are changed primarily in the css files?  Would it work to get the new theme and replace the shop all css files with the new theme css files?  I understand it may not be a perfect drag and drop replacement but it seems like it would have to be easier than putting in all the custom functionality into the new theme's view files.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,
Shawn
Stefan
7 years ago
#12492 Quote
nopadmin wrote:
Hi, just a general question here.  I have a client whose manager selected the shop all theme to be applied to the project when the project first got started.  The project has many view files and such in the shop all theme that have been modified to provide custom functionality.  However, the manager has been let go and the company owner would rather use another theme.  

How complex would this task be?  Do many of your themes roughly share the same set of view files and the look and feel are changed primarily in the css files?  Would it work to get the new theme and replace the shop all css files with the new theme css files?  I understand it may not be a perfect drag and drop replacement but it seems like it would have to be easier than putting in all the custom functionality into the new theme's view files.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,
Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Although it may look like a simple drag and drop, but each theme and especially the latest ones use fairly a different structure for the layout pages, header and footer. So most of the partial views and small pages will be the same across all themes, but again you will need to adjust the css to follow the new structure and the javascript that comes with each theme, which I think will be quite hard and time-consuming.
My suggestion is to choose another theme and merge your custom changes in the new theme. This sounds more like a copy and paste, because the custom functionality will be the same, but just put in a different theme. Thus you will move to the new theme very easily and without any issues.

Hope that makes sense.

Should you need any further information, please let me know.
Best Regards,

Stefan Hristov
Nop-Templates.com
nopadmin
7 years ago
#12508 Quote
Hi Stefan,

Excellent.   That pretty much what I was anticipating and hoping for.
Thanks for your information!

Shawn